Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Lasko Humidifiers and Humidifier Filters

We own a Lasko 1140 console humidifier. The air in the house gets below 20% humidity easily during the winter, so a few years ago we decidied to purchase a humidifier. The humidifier was about $120 and can humidify our whole house farily well assuming it is running constantly. It has a 6 gallon reservoir and puts out 12 gallons per day. Needless to say the refilling is constant. Anyway, the next year we were still able to find filters for it at Wal-Mart. However by the 3rd year we could no longer find filter replacements locally, so we started looking on the internet, but with the tax and shipping the filters were costing about $18 each. Now we never even considered going to the manufacturer because everyone knows they charge a premium price right?

So we decided we were tired of refilling it all the time anyway, so we went after a whole house furnace model. We found a Lasko brand 900L at the Olathe Lowes for $75. So we grabbed it up and I installed it. I got everything hooked up and kicked it on, and nothing. After a little troubleshooting I found the motor to be dead. Figures why it was so cheap. Anyway The cheapest motor I could find was $70. Sending it back to the stores was not going to work cause I wasn't taking the damn thing down. I didn';t bother with the warranty either because of all the shipping charges. Needless to say I am an idiot.

5 years later and I need to get the humidifier going again so I check out filter sites again and find the filters are still $20 for a set. But this time I actually go to the Lasko website which now has a store on it. They have filter sets for $5 and the motor for my 900L for $11. So I was able to order a motor and 3 sets of filters with $10 shipping charge$36 total directly from the manufacturer. And now I have my whole house furnace model and my console going with 40% humidity and healthy children.

Moral of the story is don't be an idiot like me and check the manufacturer.

No comments: